Papers Past contains more than two million pages of digitised New Zealand newspapers and periodicals. The collection covers the years 1839 to 1945 and includes 74 publications from all regions of New Zealand. Latest additions to Papers Past include:
New Zealand Herald (1863-1884)
One of the articles from 1883 reports on a letter of complaint from the Professorial Board listing inadequacies in the temporary accommodation of the new Auckland University College:
- The lectures being in 3 different locations and the difficulty of students covering the distances in time.
- No study space for students who had to stand in the street between lectures.
- No library or reading room for students.
- Rented lecture rooms being double booked and lectures needing to be suspended.
- No office for staff next to the lecture rooms.
- Science lecturers sharing one lecture room means they can’t prepare experiments before giving a lecture.
- No labs.
- No ventilation.
- More staff arriving but no new facilities.
A reply was reported from the Ministry of Education regretting that there were no funds available.
Reference: Auckland University College. (1883, August 16). New Zealand Herald, p. 6.