Books published in the Blackwell companions and Blackwell guides series provide useful introductions to a topic. Many of these are available online in the e-book database Blackwell Reference Online.
This collection of e-books includes titles in Philosophy, Gender, Ethics, Political philosophy, Linguistics and Literature, and covers most arts, humanities and social sciences subjects.
- Essed, Philomena, David Theo Goldberg, and Audrey Kobayashi, eds. A Companion to Gender Studies. Blackwell Publishing, 2004.
- Eagleton, Mary, ed. A Concise Companion to Feminist Theory. Blackwell Publishing, 2003.
- Valdivia, Angharad N. , ed. A Companion to Media Studies. Blackwell Publishing, 2005.
- Bunnin, Nicholas, and Jiuan Yu, eds. The Blackwell Dictionary of Western Philosophy. Blackwell Publishing, 2004.
- Rhodes, Rosamond, Leslie P. Francis, and Anita Silvers, eds. The Blackwell Guide to Medical Ethics. Blackwell Publishing, 2006.
- Simon, Robert L. , ed. The Blackwell Guide to Social and Political Philosophy. Blackwell Publishing, 2002.
- Benson, Hugh, ed. A Companion to Plato. Blackwell Publishing, 2006.
- Jamieson, Dale, ed. A Companion to Environmental Philosophy. Blackwell Publishing, 2003.
- Cooper, David E., ed. A Companion to Aesthetics. Blackwell Publishing, 1995.
For more titles visit the Blackwell Reference Online database and browse the subject categories.